INTERSOS is an independent non-profit humanitarian organization committed to assist the victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, and respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable and unprotected people.
General context of the project
The Boko Haram armed opposition insurgency started in 2009 and Maiduguri was the epicentre of the armed conflict. Later the armed conflict spread to all twenty-seven (27) Local Government Areas (LGAs) of Borno State, North East Nigeria. The conflict took an international dimension as it spread to the neighbouring countries of Cameroun, Niger and Chad, resulting in the displacement of millions of people across all four frontiers. The Armed Opposition Group (AOG) has been killing people in both rural and urban centres in their quest to form a hairline Islamic State in the North east of Nigeria.. A lot of towns and cities have been burned and destroyed. Social services and amenities have also destroyed and are now none existent. Agricultural activities which used to be the source of food security and livelihoods among the rural communities of the North East are no longer existent. Joint military operations by Cameroun, Nigeria, Chad and Niger have resulted in the liberation of 15 LGAs.
1. Terms of reference
Job title: Food Security Project Manager
Location: Maiduguri – Borno – North East Nigeria
Reporting to: Head of Mission (HoM)
Starting date: asap
Duration of contract: 12 months (To be confirmed after signature of agreement)
Application deadline: 8th of January 2017
2. Tasks and responsibilities
The Food Security Project Manager should provide overall supervision to the activities implemented within the framework of the project ensuring that they are delivered following the proposal text agreed with the donor and that they are leading to the achievement of the project’s results in a timely way.
• Overall supervision of implementation of Food Security project activities
• Liaise with donors’ program staff for matters related to project implementation at the field level
• Line management for the Food Security project staff
• Coordinate and manage Food Security project implementation (activities, budget and project documentation) in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements
• Elaborate project concept notes and proposals for submission to donors
• Ensure adherence to INTERSOS policies, guidance and procedures
• Provide distribution reports to the donor partner as required after each distribution
• Provide regular progress reports to the Head of Mission and the regional program support officer
• Initiate and participate in the development of relevant Food Security projects
• Develop and manage Food Security project budget
• Implement technical direction for food distribution and ensure high technical quality of project
• Ensure that the project targets most vulnerable and most in need beneficiaries, explore and assess new and better ways to assist them
• Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer of key skills
• Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders for a coordinated implementation of project activities
• Implement other tasks as might be required by the hierarchy with relation to INTERSOS Country Program in Nigeria.
3. Required profile/experience
• University, Bachelor’s degree
• Minimum 3 years of experience from a senior level project implementation position in a humanitarian/recovery context
• Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
• Technical Food Security expertise (In-kind and cash for food)
• Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
• Experienced in leadership, problem solving
• Fluency in English, both written and verbal
• Ability to work in volatile security environment
• Capacity to adapt to basic living conditions, patience.
• Ability to put up with pressure from government agencies
• Able to deliver high quality work within tight deadlines
• Should have strong negotiation skills
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified applicants should send their updated curriculum vitae, motivation letter and contact details of two professional referees to: firstname.lastname@example.org, specifying in the subject ‘Food Security PM – Nigeria’.**
Only applications sent to this email address will be considered. If you do not receive a reply within one month, then please assume that your application has not been shortlisted. Application received after the deadline or incomplete application will not be considered.